Monday, August 10, 2009

Continuing the Journey: A Word from Valters Mitans in Mazsalaca, Latvia


One of the greatest joys I experience in Missional Church Center is the privilege of becoming friends with those who are serving God’s mission around the world. Last December I met Valters Mitans as he was completing his studies at Baltic Pastoral Institute in Riga, Latvia. While there, I was blessed to participate as he was licensed to ministry and installed as pastor of a Baptist Church in Mazsalaca, a rural community near the Estonian border. Valters was a businessman who left his business to pastor his home church in response to God’s call.

Valters and his family are serving faithfully in a difficult setting. This week I received a newsletter from Pastor Mitans and asked permission to share some of his letter with you. He asks your prayers for certain needs. I invite you to join me in praying. Further, if God instructs you to provide a financial gift in support of this dear family, I will see that it reaches the Mitans family in an expedited fashion. Without regard to your capacity to give, I ask you to read his words and respond by praying for the Valters Mitans’ family. He writes:

In the present economic situation, people are very depressed. Many families are living with nothing. There are no job opportunities here. I pray for Christian businessmen who would like to move here. Their businesses could help some people survive this situation. Please stand with me in prayer, and if you know someone who might be open to this, let me know.

I have started small groups for first time in my church’s history. In September I plan to use the Alpha Course for small groups. This will hopefully involve new people in the church, and help existing members to start thinking missionally. Please pray for good leaders and for God’s Holy Spirit to change lives.

My lovely wife Ilze is my best helper. She started “Baby school” this spring. Every week mums with 1-5 year olds come and play together. God has blessed this work wonderfully. In the beginning there was only Ilze with our daughter Rebeka, and one other mom coming, but by the start of summer, our room was too small and we counted 20 moms enjoying fellowship.

My family is doing well. We still live on my savings and that is truly God’s work, because the church here can not pay for its own pastor. If you decide to support this ministry here, I am
very thankful, and I know God will bless you. Everything that I have comes from God.

The following video includes a brief segment from Valters Mitans’ licensing and installation as pastor. Gifts may be made payable to Missional Church Center noting in the memo space, Valters Mitans. Missional Church Center, PO Box 142412, Irving, TX 75014-2412.

No comments: