Monday, February 22, 2010

Blog Post from Denver


Pam and I are snowed in! I chose to drive rather than fly to speak at Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Lakewood, Colorado. Driving allows Pam to travel with me when I am speaking.

We arrived Friday evening in Denver after driving through snow for the final two hours. Then we enjoyed being with the Bethlehem family in a Saturday evening meeting. I spoke with windows at my back that allowed those present to watch the snow falling on the mountains. It was gorgeous. I think I should have faced the snow instead of the crowd!

Snow continued overnight. By Sunday morning everything was covered. Attendance for the Building the Body Equipping Emphasis was severely impacted. I led three one-hour workshops in which I challenged believers to live on mission in their 100 foot circle of influence while also learning about and adopting an unreached people group globally.

We touched on requirements for missional living: intimacy with God, clarity of life purpose, simplicity of life style, love of unreached peoples, serving and sharing with neighbors and nations. It really doesn’t matter how theologically informed we may be if we are not living and proclaiming the Kingdom among those who know us best and reflecting God’s passion for the nations.

After a keynote wrap-up message, we left Bethlehem with new friends like Paul and Laverne Kyriss (our gracious hosts), Ron and Tammy Uecker (enthusiasm personified), Lois Anderson (whose ministry is loving artists toward Jesus), and of course staff members, Sandy Wendelin (Director of Discipleship), Tim Ahlman (Associate Pastor with a passion for reaching the least reached) and gracious senior pastor David Langewisch.

The danger of listing these folks is that I failed to mention others. But you get the idea. We were blessed. And then it kept snowing…and snowing…and so our predicament. The only safe route to travel is toward Canada, and that really seems counterproductive since we are supposed to be going home to Texas.

Tonight’s forecast – record lows in Denver and significant snows in Texas!

No comments: